Thursday, April 17, 2008

U.S. Farm Bill deadline looms

I’ve commented on the extravagance of the farm bill several times on this blog and every time I read an updated report on this bill, I am simply amazed at the largesse and scope of this massive government program. Additionally, most people I talk to have no idea that this bill has a lot more to it than just subsidies for farmers. This farm bill includes the following gratuitous programs: food stamps, nutrition programs, conservation programs, and even energy programs (includes 2.5 billion for the folly of bio-fuels). Now, I realize that the possibilities that the farm bill will ever be scrapped or scaled back are positively remote. So, I’m not going to get my hopes up. It will be interesting to see who supports this classic boondoggle.

No comments: